now known as the ‘Ladies' Aid Society,’ which has had an uninterrupted existence, though under various names, ever since.
At first the Ladies
' Society took the form of a sewing circle.
The ladies ‘took in’ sewing, working on it at their weekly meetings, and the money received for the work done there went into the treasury.
Any member bringing her own sewing to the meeting was fined six cents.
From 1846 to 1854 the following able and consecrated pastors served the Methodist Episcopal Church in Medford
: Revs. J. A. Adams
, James Shepard
, Thomas W. Tucker
, Willard Smith
, A. D. Merrill
, John W. Perkins
and Charles Noble
. Revs. E. S. Best
and William A. Braman
During Mr. Braman
's ministry the vestry was repaired and improved, and a gracious revival of religion was experienced.
Rev. A. F. Herrick
followed, and was succeeded by Rev. Jarvis A. Ames
. Mr. Ames
was appointed to Medford
in April, 1861, and on the day he arrived news came of the attack on Fort Sumter
The next Wednesday
Light Guard left Medford
for three months service at the front, and Mr. Ames
offered the farewell prayer as the company gathered around him in Medford square. He proved himself a loyal citizen and ardent patriot in the two years he remained at Medford
One of his chief characteristics was his fearless outspokenness for what he believed to be right and the uncompromising attitude he took in the matter of slavery and State rights.
During his pastorate he wrote a history of the church from its earliest beginnings in Medford
, and the book containing his history, in his own handwriting, is still preserved in our archives.
Among those who fought for the Union
from the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Medford
were: William H. S. Barker
; Edward Gustine
(killed at the battle of Malvern Hill
); Daniel S. Cheney
(killed at the battle before Richmond
); George F. Kittredge
; William B. Parker
; Charles O. Alley
; Henry G. Currell
(died a prisoner at Andersonville
); Edward F. Crockett
; Henry Hathaway