[p. 5] Benjamin Ellis
(who starved in a Southern prison, was exchanged among other prisoners, and reached Medford
only to die); Antipas Newton, Jr.
; Austin F. Clark
; Charles Ellis
; George A. Newcomb
; Rodney Hathaway
and Nelson Hathaway
was followed by Revs. Henry M. Loud
, David Sherman, D. D.
, and Daniel Wait.
During Mr. Wait
's ministry a revival occurred which spread through the town, embracing all the evangelical churches.
During this pastorate, also, the church lost by death three of its most valued members—Joseph L. Goldthwait
, Albert Butters
and Ira T. Barker
In 1869 Rev. N. T. Whitaker
followed Mr. Wait
That year the society purchased a house on the corner of Salem and Park streets for a parsonage, but retained it only two years when the new church enterprise demanded all available funds.
In 1869 a new board of trustees was incorporated according to the General Statutes
of the Commonwealth
On July 1, 1871, land for a new church was bought on Salem street near Cross street, and the work of building was entered upon at once.
The building committee were William C. Child
, Thomas C. Newcomb
and Obed K. Doane
, who did faithful service until the beautiful church was completed at a cost of $50,000. It was dedicated April 30, 1873, by Bishop Gilbert Haven
, assisted by Revs. Ira G. Bidwell, D. D.
(who preached the sermon), R. R. Meredith
, and the pastor, Rev. Francis J. Wagner
Inasmuch as this church building was for many years a landmark in Medford
, and now nothing remains of it, even its ashes having been removed, it may be well to give a short description of its distinguishing characteristics.
It was of open timber construction, its interior finish was of chestnut, and the organ pipes and frescoing in blue
The auditorium was the largest in the town, seating more than one thousand, and the organ was the finest for many miles around, costing $3,500. It was what was styled a ‘two-story church,’ i.e
., its basement, containing the Sunday-school and social rooms,