was entirely above ground, and was light and roomy.
Its spire was 140 feet in height and contained one of the Medford town
clocks and a 1,800-pound bell of the key of F. If this edifice lacked the present-day requirements of church housekeeping, it was at least up to date at its erection, and was built with the idea of accommodating a growing church in a growing community.
The winter of 1874 was blessed with a glorious revival, in which many were converted and brought into the church.
was followed by Rev. T. Berton Smith
, and he by Rev. T. Corwin Watkins
In October, 1878, the semi-centennial of the church was held, it being fifty years from the date of incorporation.
The celebration lasted one week, and many former pastors were present.
When Mr. Watkins
left us he took with him as his wife one of our members, Miss E. D. Hadley
. Mr. Watkins
was followed by Rev. Gilbert C. Osgood
. Mr. Osgood
employed no evangelist during his three years pastorate, but union meetings with the Baptist
and Congregational churches were held in January of each year, continuing from one to three weeks, which were carried on by the pastors, and held alternately in the several houses of worship.
A general spiritual interest continued through his whole term.
A number of deaths occurred during Mr. Osgood
's pastorate, among them several of the older members of the church, of whom Andrew Pike was one, and one member of the Board of Stewards, Jacob W. Saxe
. Mr. Osgood
succeeded in raising the sum of $4,000 toward the church debt.
He was succeeded by Revs. James W. Fenn
, and Lyman D. Bragg
. Mr. Bragg
's three years pastorate proved to be a very eventful one.
The church was repaired and painted at a cost of about $1,000. Two revivals occurred, in which some notable conversions took place, and the young people were organized into a society called the Oxford League
, which later developed into the Epworth League
At the beginning of the second year of Mr. Bragg
's ministry, April, 1886, he asked