cushions and carpets, making the church-home beautiful and attractive.
The church was reopened in October, 1897, with a reunion and banquet.
In June, 1898, Dr. Chadbourne
, following the example of Dr. Watkins
, took as his wife one of our members, Mrs. Martha Ransom
. Dr. Chadbourne
's Bible Class, held in the audience room during the Sunday-school hour, was largely attended and greatly enjoyed, as was also the Teachers' Bible Class held at the parsonage on Saturday evenings.
During Dr. Chadbourne
's five years pastorate the church lost by death several of the oldest members, among them Bros
Orvid M. Fowler
and William T. Hannah
Rev. F. T. Pomeroy
succeeded Dr. Chadbourne
, and remained three years. During his pastorate several deaths occurred among the church membership, among them being Mr.Newcomb
and Mrs. Thomas C. Newcomb
and Mrs. O. M. Fowler
was followed in April, 1905, by Rev. Edgar Cary Bridgham
, who is still our pastor.
Early during his pastorate, on Saturday night, August 19, 1905, the church was totally destroyed by a fire of incendiary origin.
Many were the tears shed in Methodist homes all over the city that night, and many prayers for sustaining grace went up to the All-wise and Mighty Father who had permitted this great calamity to fall upon us. But there was work to be done, and with tears in our eyes and a lump in every throat, we passed the smoking ruins the next day to the services in the Baptist Church.
The churches of the city did all in their power to help and comfort in our hour of need.
Letters of sympathy and offers of shelter were received on every side, and were greatly appreciated.
A meeting of the Official Board
was held in the vestry of the Baptist Church on Sunday evening, and a committee was appointed to secure a temporary place of worship.
On Monday evening, August 2 1, a special Quarterly Conference was held, and it was voted to rebuild at once.
A committee on location was appointed, and it was finally decided to build in a different