Accordingly, on October 10, 1905, land on Otis street, near Central avenue, was bought for the site of a new church, and a house and land on Central avenue were purchased for a parsonage.
From September 1, 1905, to December 23, 1906, the church services were held in the Washington School Hall
, kindly placed at our disposal by Mayor Dwyer
On July 7, 1906, the corner-stone of the present edifice was laid.
The building committee consisted of Rev. E. C. Bridgham
, A. L. Ordway
, William F. Wiltshire
, L. Frank Cole
and Edgar A. Thomas
They labored faithfully; the architect, Lewis A. Dow
, did all that scientific skill and tireless effort could do, and on March Io
, 1907, the present edifice was dedicated to the service of Almighty God by Bishop Daniel Ayres Goodsell, D. D.
, every cent of the cost having been pledged.
Since 1905, the church has lost by death several of her oldest members, among them being Mrs. L. W. Adams
, Mrs. C. N. Jones
, Mrs. Mary E. Child
and Miss Frances Taylor
The present membership is two hundred and twenty-one.
The other organizations of the church, subject to its control, are, The Sunday-school, Ladies' Aid Society, Woman's Foreign Missionary Society, Epworth League and Wesley Brotherhood.
The Sabbath-school was organized first in 1823, with about twenty members.
The school steadily increased in interest and numbers for several years, but in 1838, when the public church services were discontinued, the Sabbath-school was also discontinued for a time.
In 1843 it was reorganized, with Ira T. Barker
as superintendent, and from that time until the present has had a continuous existence.
The superintendents have been as follows:—
Ira T. Barker
, Noah Hathaway
, Thomas Emerson
, Joseph L. Goldthwait
, Charles F. Newcomb
, Thomas C. Newcomb
, S. B. Harrington
, Charles N. Jones
, Bailey T. Mills
, Augustus L. Ordway
, S. N. Mayo
, W. T.