the entire distance from his home in West Cambridge
(save an occasional ride with Mr. Peter C. Brooks
, or on the Middlesex canal
boat), says that there may have been a mill there previously, but that his first remembrance of the building was in 1840. Mr. Wellington
is now over eighty years of age, and actively engaged daily in business.
It appears that no serious objection had been made to the maintenance of this dam till in the late fifties; a reputable citizen of present Arlington
and native in West Cambridge
saying that ‘the Fish Committee
or Commission ordered its removal.’
And now appears a highly respectable citizen of Medford
, who remembers that his brother, who went to the war with the Lawrence
Light Guard, (reenlisting after a home-coming of two weeks) and was killed in battle, was present at the first destruction of the dam, which must thus have been as early as 1860.
From the foregoing it is evident that the proprietor certainly thought he had some right in the premises, and with what follows it will be seen that the upper Mystic
was a scene of strife for a period of ten years.
The mill was a small two-story building, situated on the western bank of the river, and therefore in West Cambridge
The river-bank was there quite steep, and entrance was had into the second story from the land adjoining by a connecting bridge.
The building projected somewhat over the river, was supported by stones and timber, and the water-wheel was enclosed by the first story.
It was of the undershot variety, its paddles dipping into the current, which, as the tide ebbed, ran very swiftly, and was accelerated by the fall of less than two feet caused by the dam. Two pictures of the mill are preserved, the earlier showing the wheel in a shed-like addition, the later without the shed.
Possibly the addition may have been wrecked in the earliest attack, the later picture having been made at about 1868.
On either side the mill were willows, which leaned far out over the stream, making a picturesque setting for the old mill,