In one of the later years the well-known author, Mr. John T. Trowbridge
, was strolling that way and, noticing the quaint picture the shady nooks about the mill presented, entered and conversed a while with Mr. Wood
, who told him something of the troubles he had experienced with the boating fraternity.
As, years afterward, Mr. Trowbridge
told the present writer, he ‘saw there was material in it for a story.’
Brothers' Tide-mill’ was the result of his observation, first in Our Young Folks
, and later in book form.
A copy was in our Public Library, but has been worn out by the boys and girls of Medford
, and is no longer in circulation.
While the author said ‘the book was almost wholly fiction,’ yet the physical features he described were correct in every detail.
was disguised as ‘Dempford,’ and Arlington
as ‘Tamoset,’ but he anticipated journalism in both towns.
On November 10, 1879 (seven years later), Mr. Wood
came before the Medford
selectmen and asked their consent for his building a dam across the river, agreeing to follow their direction in the matter, but they ‘voted, that it is inexpedient to consider the matter asked for by Mr. Wood
On the 4th of July, 1891, at 1.20 A. M., the old mill was destroyed by an incendiary fire, and the chief engineer
's report gives the loss as ‘about $1,100, no insurance.’
At the present writing, the gaunt remains of the willows reach pitifully out toward the river, while the island has been removed and the tides surge to and fro no more.
The new Mystic Valley
Parkway has been built through the approach to the mill, and the river's channel deepened.
There are men in Medford
today who will recall the excitement that occurred about Wood
's dam; some, possibly (though unknown to the writer), who participated in the fray; others who can recall with pleasure their trips to the lake in their boyhood, the labor of rowing against the tide and the portage about the dam. On one of these