Medford advertising in 1776.
Two men, natives of Medford
, were engaged in the editing and publication of a weekly paper at Salem
, called the Essex Gazette
. Soon after the battle of Lexington
, they moved to Cambridge
, establishing themselves in Stoughton Hall, remaining there till the evacuation of Boston
by the British
The name New England Chronicle
was prefixed to its former one; these men therein styled themselves simply ‘Printers’ and the paper was issued on Thursdays.
Examination of a file of the above paper for the first three months of that eventful year, reveals several advertisements and items of interest to Medford
readers, some of which we notice.
On January 15, the ‘Colony of New Hampshire
,’ by its ‘Paymaster
’ Samuel Hobart
, offered one hundred dollars reward ‘for the discovery of some evil minded person or persons who did steal and carry away between two and three hundred pounds lawful money, emitted’ by said colony.
It was ‘taken from out the house of Benjamin Hall, Esq.
, in Medford
,’ on the 30th of December preceding.
The New Hampshire
troops were on duty in the siege of Boston
, and the loss of this money doubtless added to their hardship.
Some one in journeying on horse-back from Cambridge
lost ‘a small pair of saddle bags.’
Possibly some squire or officer in the army, who could not appear in correct style at some social function, because of the loss of his ‘ruffled shirt and stock and pair of light blue Royal Rib Breeches,’ for which, if left with the Printer, the finder was to receive three dollars reward.
had no post office till twenty-one years later, there were advertised at Cambridge
, letters for Capt. James Smithwick
and Henry Parkinson
, with two for Simon Tufts
No doubt but Dr. Tufts
would have appreciated our present tri-daily mail delivery.