place south of the river, which we shall notice later on, one at the junction of Main street and Mystic avenue, one at the almshouse and some at the schoolhouses, as they were built at different times.
was slow in coming into her privileges in this last direction.
She had had three buildings for the housing of one school, the third, a brick one, dating from 1795, and it is not till March 2, 1807, that we find any record of an attempt being made to furnish water for teacher and pupils.
At that time the town passed the following votes: ‘To have a Well dug in Suitable place for the use of the School
‘That the Committee
to enlarge the School house
be a committee to dig a Well and Fix a pump in the same with a Bason chained on.’
5 August, 181, the selectmen approved the bill for a pump for the well at the school-house, and the bills of several people for digging, stoning and bricking a well at the school-house.
Shall we infer from this that it took four years to accomplish what the town had voted to do?
It is evident that there had never been a well at the three meeting-houses, for had there been one near the third building, which was erected in 1770, it would not have been necessary to have provided a well for the old brick school which was in the rear of the former and close to it, as both were town property.
The only reference to the meeting-house in this connection is found under date of May 7, 1827, when it was ‘Voted To pass Darius Wait's acct.
for repairs of Town pump near the meet g house & making 3 new ladders & repair boxes.’
No water was provided for the school on Back street, the Union street of today, nor for those on Cross street, Ship street and the early Park street school, which later became the Swan school
In the yard of the first High school on High street was a pump that stood very near the street, at the head of the present easterly flight of stone steps.