his white horse and hay rigging to and from the canal with water for the different families.
Sometimes a few were favored by getting water from the distillery on Ship street, which could be obtained there warm.
It is said the excellence of Medford
rum was due, among other things, to the purity of the water used in the making which came from a spring on Pasture Hill
, off that part which today we call Governors avenue, beyond the estate of Harry Dutton
The first of these wells south of the river was on the west side of Main street, about forty feet from the highway, in the track of the boulevard now being built.
This was owned by James Gregg
The water was not fit to drink.
A second was south of where Hartshorn
's harness shop stands today, on the right of the passageway and about forty feet from the street.
In a house on the site of the one standing north of the Engine House
lived George W. Symmes
, where his father Daniel
had lived, and probably also his grandfather, Timothy.
The third well was on the premises of the Misses Hannah
and Emily Tufts
, who lived in a fine old house on the corner of Main and South
streets, where our Central Engine House now stands.
After their house was burned in the great fire of 1850, the Misses Tufts
lived on Salem street, corner of Fulton.
On the east side of the highway there was a well on the premises of the Parker
family, who lived in the Admiral Vernon Tavern
, and later in a house built on its site.
The public was free to use the water of all these private wells except that of the Misses Tufts
The fifth well was a town one with pump and trough put in at the curb.
It was called the Hyde well from being in front of the estate of James Hyde
, the grocer, and was commonly supposed to have been a private well.
It was located near the building now numbered 56, about where a telephone pole is standing.
1 July, 1811, the selectmen voted ‘To have a new pump placed in the Town
's well on the South
side of ’