passed through to and from the cattle yards at Brighton
and Willow Bridge, we can realize the benefit these water-ways were to the drovers, especially when there were crowds around the two troughs in the center of the town.
One of these ways I knew well, and it was a pleasure to pass through it when driving.
It was the last to disappear and gave way to the march of time, perhaps fifteen years ago, when the boulevard through Valley street was laid out and changes made as it came into Forest street. It was on the westerly side of Forest street, north of Kidder's hill, its water coming from Pine hill
, the little stream called Gravelly creek
Some of these driveways were quite shallow, being used more for carriages to pass through than for watering cattle.
They were located on Main street, foot of Winter hill
; High street, foot of Marm Simonds' hill; another on High street near Canal street; one also at Weir bridge; a second over Gravelly creek
on Salem street, near our present common; and one on Winthrop street near the estate of the late Peter C. Hall
, commonly called Chardon Hall, whose dwelling-house is now the farm-house on Gen. S. C. Lawrence
The streams thus utilized were Winter, Meeting-House
brooks, in addition to Gravelly creek
, before mentioned.
When the increased demands of modern living made it evident that a better supply of pure water was needed in Medford
than that furnished by wells and cisterns, it was natural that the attention of our citizens should turn to that fine body of water partly within the limits of the town.
The Spot Pond
Water Company had been incorporated in 1867 by a committee from the towns of Medford
, with a view to the future needs of these places, and two years later the franchise was purchased by them.
In 1870, by way of Salem street, and the year following by way of Forest street, Medford
was piped and supplied by water from this pond, and this