service continued until the needs of Greater Boston
for a supply of water became a great and burning question.
The Metropolitan Water Board was established in 1895.
became a part of the Metropolitan Water District
, and in conjunction with Malden
she surrendered Spot pond
to the State
The litigation and expense attending this transfer you all know.
In 1901 the consolidation of the Metropolitan Water Board
and the Board of Metropolitan Sewerage Commissioners took place, and we are now having the service of the Metropolitan Water
and Sewerage Board, which seems able to provide for Boston
and the towns round about for several years.
As we are now a part of Greater Boston
, and on account of the relation of Spot pond
to the subject, it is not inappropriate to speak briefly here of Boston
's former water supply.
A portion of it had been supplied from Jamaica pond
in West Roxbury
, through four main pipes of pitch-pine logs, by the Boston Aqueduct Corporation
, chartered in 1795.
In 1825, three years after Boston
became a city, on recommendation of the city council, a commission was appointed ‘to ascertain the practicability of supplying the city with good water for the domestic use of the inhabitants, as well as for the extinguishing of fires and all the general purposes of comfort and cleanliness.’
The report was made that a good supply of pure water could be obtained from the Charles river
, above Watertown
, and from Spot pond
The subject was discussed, but this important project was laid aside until taken up again by the city council in 1834.
In October of that year an engineer stated that there were 2,767 wells in the city; 2,085 were drinkable, 682 were bad, and only 7 of the whole number were occasionally used for washing.
Eighteen years had passed since Spot pond
had been recommended for Boston
's use, and that there were men