shrewd enough to see what valuable property it would sometime be, is shown by the following article on the warrant for the Medford Town
Meeting, February 13, 1843:
To hear and act on the order of notice By the General Court on the petition of James C. Odiorne
& others to be incorporated for the purpose of laying an aqueduct from Spot Pond
to the City of Boston
The action of the town is thus recorded:—
‘Voted, That the matter contained in the article be referred to the Selectmen
, and the Representative
to the General Court, with instructions to see that the interests of the town are protected in case a Co is incorporated to lay an aqueduct from Spot Pond
As the act of incorporation did not take place, the history of it closes here.
The subject of a proper water supply for Boston
was still further discussed, and it was the favorite theme of the different city councils through the administrations of many mayors.
At last the necessary legislative power was obtained, the great work begun, and amid great demonstrations of joy, with elaborate ceremonies, Cochituate water was let on for the use of Boston
, October 25, 1848.
After the introduction of Spot pond
water into Medford
the pump in the square reached the Oslerism stage of inanimate things, and on March 24, 1873, the decree went forth that sealed its fate, for on that date the selectmen voted that it should be removed by the highway surveyors and the well fixed as a reservoir, and May 18, 1874, Mr. Foster
was appointed a committee ‘to sell the Town
June 2, 1873, the highway surveyors were ordered to remove the pump at the head of Mystic avenue, and April 30, 1877, the board ordered the removal of the pump in front of the Hyde estate on Main street, and the filling up of the well.
The action of the town in filling up these three wells shows they were town property,