but the date of the digging of them is shrouded not perhaps in mystery, but in obscurity.
From the well-known position he takes in regard to the location of the Cradock house
, it is natural that John H. Hooper
should suggest that the well in the market place was dug and used by Matthew Cradock
For the convenience they were to the public the town may have kept some private pumps and wells in repair, for July 13, 1868, ‘the committee on Pump near Washburn's Store
reported the same could be repaired at small expense.’
's store was on the northwest corner of Salem and Park streets.
It was voted the repairs be made and a ‘cup and chain be procured also, a Bill of sale of same for Town,’ and it was also voted the care of the pump be in charge of Mr. Washburn
Thus has the old given place to the new order of things, and the memories of the simple past mingle pleasantly with the use of our up-to-date luxuries and conveniences.
From plans and descriptions furnished by Francis A. Wait
, Fred H. C. Woolley
has drawn a picture of the double pump of sixty years ago, which the former has presented to the Medford
Historical Society, and so another part of the history of the past is preserved for future generations.