[p. 44] was transferred to the South Grammar School. She left Waltham in the fall of 1879 at the summons of Medford to return and teach here, as the assistant of Mr. Benjamin F. Morrison, at the Swan School. In 1887, on the resignation of Mr. Rufus Sawyer, the grammar grades of the Everett and Swan Schools were consolidated, and Miss Gill went with Mr. Morrison to the Everett School as his assistant there; and when the Washington School was opened in 1890 went thither with the grammar grades. Each of these transfers meant additional work and added responsibility, but her great opportunity did not come until the ninth grade pupils were transferred to the new High School building in 1897 and she was selected to go with them. Here her preeminent ability as a teacher of history was first adequately recognized and turned to account. She remained at the High School until her death, devoting herself chiefly to instruction in history. Descended from John Alden and Richard Warren of the Mayflower; from Capt. John Vinton of Braintree, who served in the Revolution; from Henry Adams, ancestor of presidents and statesmen; from John Sewall, brother of that judge who condemned witches and later had the courage publicly to condemn himself therefor; with I know not how many quarterings of colonial, provincial and Revolutionary ancestry; acquainted from her girlhood with thought and work for Medford's patriots, it was not unnatural she should be interested in the study of history. But she was more. She was enthusiastic over it. She had the ability to arouse the interest of her pupils in it, so that pupils who at first were indifferent became earnest students and grew to love history for its own sake. In 1875 she joined the Mystic Church when the First Trinitarian Congregational and the Mystic Churches became one. She was a charter member of Bunker Hill Chapter, D. A. R., and when Sarah Bradlee Fulton Chapter was organized in Medford transferred her membership
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
The first Methodist Episcopal Church of Medford .
Medford Historical Society .
Officer for the year ending March , 1910 .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.