high elevation, and many citizens on the high lands were seriously inconvenienced; they were able to draw water only during the night at some seasons.
Much of the time they were without it during part of the day-time, when it was being generally used on the lower lands.
Complaints were numerous and emphatic because of this lack and of the frequent breaking of mains.
The selectmen had devoted much space in their annual reports to finding fault with the water works.
They had some cause for this, as they saw the situation.
With a debt of over $200,000, after an annual payment of from ten to fifteen thousand dollars for the previous twelve or fifteen years for the water works, and with no definite plans in sight to secure a larger supply and larger pipes to carry it, the outlook was not brilliant.
On January 27, 1893, the commissioners decided to lay cast-iron pipe in all new work, and to use larger sizes.
A plan to secure more water by a system of driven wells north of Webster street was discussed.
Because of a disagreement as to its expediency the board was again disrupted, the chairman, Thomas B. Dill
Again time proved the wisdom of the majority, for experiments made proved the folly of spending the amount that would have been needed to develop the wells.
It was found later that a large quantity of water could be obtained from Wright's Pond
and vicinity at a much less original cost and maintenance expense.
, located just south of the Spot Pond
water-shed, is an artificial pond, first developed for an ice pond.
It was in the design of R. H. Eddy
, C. E., in his (Boston
) report of 1836 already mentioned, to develop this as a reservoir.
developed it by raising the dam, so that the pond lay 140.66 feet above Medford
's base, covering about 25 acres, and making a reservoir of about 80,000,000 gallons above a level 11 feet over the intake pipe.
There are two branches called the east and the west arm, beside the branch that was dammed, which together constitute the head waters of Gravelly Creek