[p. 75] his will, allowed January 15, 1823, descended to his children—David, Mary and Lucy. David, Jr., (the boy so nearly fatally injured in the snow fort siege in 1808), was a practicing physician in Boston in the fifties (one of the early homoeopaths), and at his death his portion was inherited by his wife Mary Ann. She deeded the same to his sister Lucy, April 13, 1863. The elder sister, Mary, had before this, by her will, allowed October 15, 1858, bequeathed her ‘one-third part of wood lot’ to her sister Lucy, who was at last the sole proprietor for ten years. She died on June 17, 1873, and by her will, made in the previous year, did ‘give and bequeath to the Town of Medford, . . . wood lot in the north-east part of said town, for the benefit of the Town Library.’ Another decade passed away and the selectmen recommended that the town sell its unproductive property. Two years later they were authorized to sell the Osgood lot, so called. Their report shows that Miss Osgood gave it with the understanding that when sold, the income from the proceeds should go to the library. After being advertised for three weeks, only one bid was received, that of S. K. Abbott, of Malden, $1,720.96, and to him it was sold. In 1877, the wood standing thereon had been sold by the town for $179.74, and this sum including interest was on deposit in the Medford Savings Bank. The selectmen recommended that this be withdrawn and added to the proceeds of the sale, the town to assume the debt, making it a perpetual fund, paying the income thereof to the library trustees, which was done. The three houses referred to were evidently built soon after this purchase. In the twenty-five years that have elapsed, a sparsely settled section of Medford has become a thickly inhabited one; a boulevard has taken the place of the lonely Valley street, and the car houses and power station of the electric railway, at the boundary, are busy hives of industry. Overlooking it all is Parson Osgood's wood lot, to which
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Quaint old records.
Medford Historical Society .
Officers for the year ending January , 1911
Stage-coach days in Medford .
The Society's work-papers and addresses
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.