[p. 11] title to Menotomy land immediately after his petition of November 10, 1654? With the opening of 1655 it is evident that work on the mills and dam across the river had been begun, as it required time then, as now, and more so, to do such work. The Broughton dam, which, as shown by the above deed, must have been built in 1655, extended across the river from the lot deeded to President Dunster by William Brackenbury to land in Medford purchased by Edward Collins of the Cradock heirs, and was the first to be erected in the river of Mysticke. How it was constructed we may never know, but those who observed the recent building of the Cradock dam can well realize the extent of this undertaking so long ago. Probably clay from the present site of Arlington street was used, as in the recent dredging of the river, clay at that point, and no other, defied the effort of the steam dredge, but yielded at last to increased power and dynamite. In June of 1905 the writer, in company with the Messrs. Hooper, went over the ground and searched for some trace of the ancient structure, and none too soon. Mr. H. secured photographs of the old mill site and raceway, which by his courtesy we present. Three days later the whole was obliterated by the grading work of the contractors. Retiring from the college, Mr. Dunster had entered somewhat into business life, but had given mortal offence to the ever watchful authorities. So on April 3 he was called up for the public admonition before mentioned. Mr. Broughton, having completed his mills, received the deed of land and way thereto, and probably Mr. Dunster retained some interest therein. By the building of this dam the river above and Medford ponds assumed a higher level, and soon complaint was heard of flowage of meadows. Of these but one has come down to our notice. Preserved in Boston Public Library is the following, whose date shows that one of the watchful leaders of the theocracy
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Quaint old records.
Medford Historical Society .
Officers for the year ending January , 1911
Stage-coach days in Medford .
The Society's work-papers and addresses
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.