‘[p. 20] was then called the “Donty Richardson lot.” The town of Winchester now owns it.’ But cool and refreshing as was the spring water in 1820, Hannah was still a lover of rum, and on December 22 came down to see Mrs. Hutchinson while under its influence. After venting her displeasure upon that good lady's ‘earthen milk pans,’ much to their detriment, she continued on her devious way to the village of South Woburn (Winchester). In going over the foot-bridge that spanned the Aberjona, she fell into the water and was drowned. The same writer said, ‘She had a little dog that always went with her; the dog commenced barking and gave the alarm. Abel Richardson (who owned the mill and lived near by) and his sons took her out of the water and carried her into his house; from there, two days after, she was buried. There was a great attendance at the funeral, the Rev. Joseph Chickering of Woburn preaching a sermon from this text, “And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth.” ’ Some have thought her drowning was at the bridge on Main street, near by, instead of at what is now Pleasant street. Both were near Abel Richardson's house, and as the wind blew fiercely down the valley on that winter day, it overcame her as she emerged from the old trail that led down from the highlands between two eminences by the river side. The river then flowed where is now the Scientist Church, lately the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany, its course having been moved several rods westward about thirty years ago. Hannah Shiner's ‘hut under the rock’ was not within Medford bounds, but a little over the line in Stoneham. The ledge rose perpendicularly and faced toward the south. Her rude shelter was but a rod away from it, and the spring mentioned close by. The location of her rude home in Turkey swamp, sheltered by the ledge, high, straight and long, was an ideal one for the last survivor here of a vanished race. The
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Quaint old records.
Medford Historical Society .
Officers for the year ending January , 1911
Stage-coach days in Medford .
The Society's work-papers and addresses
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.