with dormitories at the Mansion House
, on Canal street, and Mystic Hall for recitations.
The churches then at Medford
were the Unitarian
, Universalist and Mystic
, at present locations; Episcopal, near present site of the Armory
; First Trinitarian, in the building where is now Page & Curtin
's hardware business; Baptist
, in the building since used as a livery stable, next to the Salem
street cemetery; and the Methodist
, at the corner of Salem and Oakland streets—at distances inconvenient for regular attendance of the children and the aged of families where no horses were kept.
The Teele and Huffmaster farms, extending side by side north from High street, were being opened up for new residents.
Mr. Samuel Teele
lived in the house still standing between Brooks street and Hammond place; Mr. John H. Norton
, whose wife was Martha Huffmaster
, occupied the Huffmaster homestead, High street, corner Allston
; N. T. Merritt
, Franz Diebold
and E. M. Platt
were on Prescott street; Mr. Hawley
, Franklin Patch, William McLean
, Luther Farwell
, Ira P. Ackerman
and Henry L. Barnes
on Allston street. Mr. Barnes
moved from Boston
in February, 1857, and lived in the same house till his death, in January, 1904, which house he gave by will to the West Medford Congregational Society.
and Mrs. Barnes
united with the First Trinitarian Church, Medford
, by letter from the Mount Vernon Church
, and he was so active a worker that he was soon elected a deacon, which office he held till the First Church
united with the Mystic Church
A Methodist class meeting had been held during a part of 1864 at the house of Mr. Hawley
A series of maternal meetings was also held in 1864, sometimes, at least, at the house of Mrs. Barnes
These were monthly meetings, with children in attendance quarterly.
also assembled a class of children on Saturday afternoons, to whom she taught the Bible
lesson assigned for the next day's study in the Sabbath-school.
This class was for the children who could not attend Sabbathschool