on account of the distance, and it came to number about thirty.
Plainly some place more commodious than a private house was needed for this increasing class.
conducted a canvass, with assistance, and found sufficient sentiment in support of the plan to form a Sabbath-school.
A call was issued for a meeting, to be held Sunday afternoon, May 28, to organize.
Eighty-five persons attended, held an open discussion of the plan in all its aspects, voted to organize the Mystic
Sabbath-school, and, by use of a nominating committee and a marking list, elected Mr. N. T. Merritt
superintendent, Miss Johnson
secretary, and Mr. James P. Richardson
During the first year of the school there appear on the roll one hundred and forty-six names, from fifty-seven families.
The religious affiliation of eighteen families cannot be stated.
One family would have been claimed by both Methodists and Universalists, one by both Congregationalists and Universalists, two families were Universalist, two were Episcopalian, four were Methodist, four were Baptist
, eight were Unitarian
, and seventeen were Congregationalist, and fifty-one of the one hundred and forty-six were from these seventeen Congregational families.
served as superintendent one year.
Mr. Franklin Patch
was the second to hold this office, and served eighteen months, to December, 1867, resigning on removing to Lexington
Both were members of the Mystic Church
. Mr. George G. Lincoln
, assistant superintendent
, completed the year, was elected and served as superintendent during the school's fourth year.
He served another six months, January to June, 1872.
He was a member of the First Trinitarian Congregational Church.
The West Medford Christian Union employed Rev. M. B. Chapman
, a Methodist, to preach in Mystic Hall, and he served one year as superintendent.
Mr. O. A. Buzzell
, a Baptist, served eighteen months, to December,