1871, resigned, and moved to Nevada
The responsibilities of administration were thus divided, denominationally, for seven years.
During this period the school laid its own plans and provided the means for executing them.
It has more than paid its way ever since.
owning two pianos, placed one in the hall for the use of the school during his term of office.
‘The organ was used in the school,’ was the record on December 8, 1867.
But whether the organ was accepted as a gift or was purchased was not recorded.
entertainments and picnics were arranged on a more or less elaborate scale, according to circumstances.
Question books, Sabbath-school papers and singing books were purchased, and the Sabbath-school ship was kept afloat by means of a weekly contribution, augmented from time to time by individual gifts.
A library was collected and added to, till in 1872, there were some two hundred books, but whether purchased or donated is not a matter of record.
January, 1872, the name of the school was changed to West Medford Union Sabbath-school, and a constitution and by-laws were adopted.
During these seven years the smallest attendance at any session was in March, 1872, when 10 were present; the largest, 108, was in the first year; the average for each of the seven years in order was 73, 66, 56, 67, 67, 66, 61.
In 1868 there was organized the West Medford Christian Union, for the purpose of maintaining preaching services in Mystic Hall.
Rev. M. B. Chapman
and Rev. L. E. Charpiot
were two of the preachers employed.
The funds were raised by subscription.
This organization was maintained till October, 1872, at which time the West Medford Congregational Society was ready to do business.
When the Christian Union ceased its activities its officers were, president
, Luther Farwell
; secretary and treasurer, Simon S. Leavitt
; committee to secure subscriptions, S. S. Leavitt
and James Wilson