We organized one committee to keep this constantly revised, another to secure the use of a barge and carriages to bring the lame or convalescent to the morning service, another to keep a list of the ‘shut-ins’ and promote correspondence between them and others, and another to assist unemployed persons to find occupation.
When six of the ten lines had been initiated our confidence in our ability to carry out his program gave out, and the other four were not undertaken.
held classes for conference on the subject of personal religion.
To these he gave careful instruction and wise counsel, opening up the Scriptures, and his efforts were rewarded by their public confession of faith in the Christ.
He baptized thirteen infants and thirty adults, and received into membership one hundred and thirty-three—sixty-nine by letter and sixty-four on confession.
He was dismissed by council on October 24, 1895.
In accordance with a vote of the church in December, 1894, and amendment to the by-laws adopted December, 1895, the Sabbath-school officers are elected by the church at its annual meeting, instead of by the school, as hitherto.
On January 3, 1896, a call was voted to Rev. Judson V. Clancy
, who accepted and was installed February 26 by council consisting of twelve pastors and seventeen delegates, representing nineteen churches.
Rev. Frank S. Adams
of Reading was moderator and Rev. George E. Lovejoy
The installing prayer was by Rev. D. A. Newton
, the sermon by Rev. Nehemiah Boynton, D. D.
, of Boston
, and Rev. Messrs.
had other parts.
entered into the work with buoyant zeal and a proper optimism.
His sermons received an attentive hearing and the audiences increased.
He aroused the enthusiasm of many new people, and with the superior good nature always characteristic of him, enlisted the permanent support of a goodly number.