‘Home’ and ‘Foreign’ Missionary Societies were merged into one organization, ‘The Woman's Christian League.’
The Sabbath-school and the Y. P. S. C. E. continued their various activities with success, although the school did not exceed the high record of the previous pastorate as to attendance.
The prayer meetings manifested spiritual power.
On May 7, 1897, Bro. Josiah G. Fuller
presented the church an individual communion service.
On February 23, 1897, the society accepted from Bro. Henry L. Barnes
the gift of the house and land corner High and Allston streets on which our meeting-house now stands.
The gift was accompanied with an offer of four thousand dollars when we should build on it a meeting-house and dedicate it free from debt.
The ‘Songs for the Sanctuary’ had been in use for public worship since 1874, and the books were the property of individuals.
In December, 1896, the church voted to use the ‘Church Hymnary’ instead, and the society having voted to adopt the free seat system and pledges instead of pew rental, it also voted to purchase and own the hymn books.
The church observed the twenty-fifth anniversary of its organization on Sunday, June 13, 1897, at morning service by a sermon by the pastor on ‘The Power of the Church
in the Community,’ and by a special communion service.
At the evening service were addresses on ‘The Sunday-school and Christian Endeavor Society’ by H. N. Ackerman
, and ‘The Early History of the Church
and Parish,’ by D. H. Brown
On Monday, June 14, there was a banquet in the vestry, with brief addresses, and a service in the audience room, with addresses by Rev. Messrs. Clancy
, Cutter, Hood
These exercises were enthusiastic, and there were present at one or another of the meetings about two-thirds of the organizing and the first installing councils.
The thirtieth anniversary was observed by a service with a collation on June 13, 1902, in place of the usual