more, when the instrument in the observatory was, in 1870, superseded by another and the use of the cairn as a meridian mark was discontinued.
died in 1862 and was survived by his widow as late as 1896, when to her the college corporation conveyed the ground for the named consideration of ninety dollars.
No mention of the monument
was made in the deed, unless ‘the rights, easements and appurtenances’ of its wording covered it, and the original description of boundary was followed—the ‘stake and stones’ at each of three corners and the ‘sapling pine’ at point begun at.
Several pitch pine trees are now near the old cairn, probably seedlings from the one mentioned, as it is hardly probable that in 1847 that one ceased growing or was endowed with perpetual youth.
The location is (by air line) about three and three-quarters miles from the observatory.
(The land was later sold by Mrs. Parker
to E. S. Randall et al
., and still later to another.)
More recent inquiry reveals the fact that a similar monument was built southward at Jamaica Plain
; also, that in 1870 a building was erected at Tufts College (probably West Hall) that obstructed the view of this northern one.
In Vol. 8, Observatory Annals
, we find that the erection of a temporary mark near this one was the cause of some anxiety to the adjoining landholder and a small sum was paid ‘in compensation for the anxiety occasioned by the supposed encroachment.’
This may account for the larger sum named in the second deed, rather than any rise in valuation.
Evidently the three ‘stakes and stones’ and the pine sapling were not discernible in 1870, and the observatory claimed one hundred and twenty feet (the first-named boundary) from the pine sapling, which must have been at the eastern corner near the monument which was ‘opposite to the Transit Circle
One hundred and twenty feet is the length of the observatory and the meridian circle is in the west wing.