previous next
[p. 51] Angier about 1780. Mr Fitch died 28th Sept. 1790. The house was then bought of Nathl Gorham, (son of Judge Gorham) and sold by him to John Coffin Jones, Merchant of Boston, in Dec. 1794. Mr Jones & family passed his summers there till April 1805, when he sold it to Josiah Bradlee, merchant of Boston, for $5,000. —Mr Bradlee sold it to Mr John Prince, Merchant of Boston, for his Father Dr John Prince formerly of Salem, widower—who lived there with his two daughters, Mrs Apthorp and Miss Patty, who married Judge Hinckley of Northampton about 1811. Dr Prince married a daughter of the Hon. Richard Derby of Salem—she died before he came to Medford—The Dr was a Royalist during the Revolution, and went to Halifax with the English army on the evacuation of Boston in 1776, He was a tall slender man, and very deaf He moved to Jamaica Plain about 1811, and his son sold the house to James Prentiss, Merchant of Boston (Bond & Prentiss, who failed in 1813, for a large amount and paid 4 cents in the dollar)

Mr Prentiss lived there one Summer and sold it to Capt. Gilchrist in 1812, who moved in, but after a month or two, Mrs Gilchrist not liking the house, went back to his former house opposite to Mr. Bigelow's, and rented the house to Capt Ebenezer Stocker of Boston (formerly of Newburyport) who lived there one or two years, until his sudden death in Havana, of fever, when his family moved into Boston

In 1813 or 1814 Capt Gilchrist sold the house to Mr William Furness, Cashier of the Union Bank, Boston. He died in April, 1836, aged 69, and the house was soon after sold to Mr Jonathan Porter, of rising reputation as a lawyer, until ill health compelled him to relinquish his profession

Later Mr. Swan added:—

He died 11th June 1859, aged 67. almost wholly confined to his house by spinal infirmity, the last 10 or 15 years.——

Over date of Aug. 8, 1888, is added with pencil:—

House of Jonathan Porter Esq built by Rev. Mr. Turell now destroyed, the land is still owned by Miss Mary Porter daughter of Jonathan Porter.


Since the old house was built, have come Purchase and Winthrop streets, then Porter's lane, (now Rural avenue), and now Traincroft. It is a far cry from its earliest days to the Winthrop square and the electric cars of today.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: