The elms farm barns.
Allusion has been made in a former issue to the passing of the Brooks
estate at West Medford.
Near the site of the great barns, modern dwellings have been erected and are in occupancy.
As a memory of the past, the Register presents a view of the buildings destroyed by incendiary fire in the early morning hours of July 13, 1910.
These replaced others of equal size destroyed by a lightning fire July 12, 1888, one of which was erected by Gilbert Lincoln
after the destruction by incendiaries of one on August Io
This, erected during the absence of Mr. Edward Brooks
, was on a massive basement of Medford
granite that withstood both conflagrations, but is now entirely removed.
At the erection of those last built there was an old-fashioned ‘raising’ (of which photographs were made), and refreshments served to the company.
were the builders and made record time in their excellent work, that the season's hay could be housed and the business of the farm continue.