[p. 22] For the warmest of hearts is frozen,Phillips Brooks was frequently at the house (1861-1863) of Mrs. A. K. Hathaway, Ashland street, to see a friend who boarded there. Some of our citizens remember that George L. Brown, the well-known artist, made his home (1863) in the old Bishop house on Salem street opposite the burying ground, for a year or so. Mr. Brown had a married sister, Mrs. Myrick, who lived on South street court. This may account for the artist's presence among us. He had a daughter, Angelica, born in Rome, I believe, who attended the Everett School. In appearance and speech she differed just enough from her Yankee playmates to be interesting. Her father could have been seen many a day (for our town then was a quiet place with but few people on the street) sitting on a stool on the sidewalk in front of his house, palette and brush in hand, with an umbrella over his head, busily engaged in painting. Possibly he was taking the colors and tints from the sky that have given the glow to so many of his pictures, to be used at a later time, for though he lived abroad many years he returned to America in 1860, and from the following item in the Art journal, May, 1875,
The freest of hands is still;
And the gap in our picked and chosen
The long years may not fill.
No duty could overtask him,
No need his will outrun;
Or ever our lips could ask him,
His hands the work had done.
He forgot his own soul for others,
Himself to his neighbors lending;
He found the Lord in his suffering brothers,
And not in the clouds descending.
Never rods to the wrongs redressing
A worthier paladin.
Shall he not hear the blessing,
Good and faithful, enter in.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.