house, on Riverside avenue. The store was in the side nearest the square, the lower half being used to house the engines.
James T. Floyd, Jr.
, succeeded Mr. Gregg
, May 30, 1849, and the office was located in the railroad station on Main street. At that time the entrance to the station and the platform inside was on the side nearest the bridge.
The post-office was in the corner nearest the square.
James C. Winneck
was the next postmaster, his appointment dating from August 23, 1853.
He was in the grain business, occupying a building situated on High street on the present site of the building occupied by George Nichols Company.
continued postmaster until October 21, 1859, when he was succeeded by Alvah N. Cotton
was born in Rumney, N. H.
, but came to Medford
when a young man to work on the Adams
' farm, a large tract of land on Main street including the section later known as the Mystic Trotting Park
He later learned the ship carpentry trade and worked in Medford
and at the Navy Yard
It is interesting to note that during the winter of 1859 there was a very severe snow storm and all traffic was at a standstill.
No mail could be received or despatched by train for at least forty-eight hours. Mr. Cotton
, on his snowshoes, took the mail to Boston
, and returning brought out the Medford
mail, carrying the pouches on his back.
was very active in town affairs, serving several terms as selectman and assessor, and was a member of the Social Library Committee
and Town Library Committee.
He continued postmaster until April 22, 1861, the post-office being located in a small building on High street, near the Savings Bank.
followed Mr. Cotton
, serving until his death, March 7, 1868.
He was succeeded by his son, George C. Hervey
. Mr. Hervey
conducted a tailor business in the railroad building and the post-office was located in the station during Mr. Hervey