John H. Eames
was appointed postmaster March 17, 1870, by President Grant
. Mr. Eames
was a member of the Lawrence
Light Guard and responded to President Lincoln
's call for volunteers, April 20, 186, serving three months. On the second call he went as sergeant of Co. C, 39th Mass. Vol., and was in many battles.
Through Mr. Eames
' efforts, a building for the post-office was erected on Riverside avenue by Henry W. Bigelow
During his administration Mr. Eames
saw many changes in the postal service, including the introduction of the money order system and the issuing of the postal card.
Letter postage was reduced from three to two cents, and the collection of paper postage from individuals was eliminated and the pound rate established.
Valued as a curiosity is the clumsy hand-stamp now in a cabinet in the rooms of Post 66, G. A. R. It did service in Medford
's ancient post-offices many years.
resigned March 8, 1886, owing to poor health, and moved to Marshfield Hills, Mass.
, where he continues to reside.
Frank T. Spinney
succeeded Mr. Eames
and served until June 16, 1897, when, owing to poor health and it becoming necessary to seek a change of climate, he resigned and removed to North Carolina
. Mr. Spinney
's first appointment was made by President Cleveland
Notwithstanding that he was a strong supporter of the Democratic party, Mr. Spinney
was reappointed by President Harrison
without any opposition.
He was a very efficient postmaster and was considered one of the best informed officials on postal matters in the service.
His knowledge of postal affairs was well recognized by the Department at Washington
In May, 1895, Postmaster General Wanamaker
called to Washington
, for conference with him, seven postmasters from various parts of the United States
. Mr. Spinney
was one of the seven and served as secretary of the conference.
During his administration free delivery was established and the office considerably enlarged.
He is now engaged in the real estate
business at Pine Bluffs, North Carolina