The Page homestead, in good condition, is today one of the historic places pointed out to the visitor to Danvers
Our interest in the young man who built this colonial house for himself at the time of his marriage in 1750, and who became a man of force, ability and distinction, lies in the fact that he was Medford
born and lived here till early manhood.
We find his name on our tax-rate lists for 1744, '45, '46.
At the invitation of a Mr. Andrews
, whose daughter he married afterwards, he went to Danvers
to engage in the business of brick making.
Without doubt he had learned much concerning it in the various brick-yards in his birthplace.
Four young men, all but the last being graduates of Harvard, began their public life as teachers in our town school, and though their residence was only for a brief period, as they became eminent in professional circles, it is pleasant to mark their connection with the history of Medford
graduated from college at the age of nineteen, and at twenty began the study of divinity with Dr. Osgood
, at the same time taking charge of our grammar school.
He was teacher in the second schoolhouse from October, 1789, to December, 1790.
He was ordained when twenty-four years of age and became pastor of the Unitarian Church in Lancaster
, where he was a loved and respected pastor for fifty years. His father had served the church in Hampton, N. H.
, forty years. Dr. Osgood
preached the sermon, taking his text from Acts 20:;27, ‘For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.’
The good doctor must have had a tender and loving feeling for the youth who had been under his instruction and guidance, and we believe he bespoke for the young man the respect and loyal following of the people who were to become his charge.
The firm of John E. Thayer
and Brothers was established by his sons, the members of which amassed great wealth.
The younger generations of these families are