The post-office was established at College Hill
, March 6, 1863, and was for many years located in the railroad station.
The office was practically under the jurisdiction of Tufts College, and the appointments of postmasters were made upon the recommendation of its president, and for the most part were given to students who were working their way through college.
John A. Whitney
was the first postmaster
and served until June 1, 1871, when he was succeeded by Benjamin T. White
. Mr. White
was succeeded by Fred Stark Pearson
, September 23, 1881.1 Mr. Pearson
is well known as one of the best electrical engineers of the country.
He electrified the West End Street
Railway in Boston
, also the Metropolitan Street
Railway in New [p. 38] York
, and had charge of installing the electric lighting system in the City of Mexico
was followed by Julian C. Edgerly
, a well-known newspaper man of Boston
was in Jamaica
during the earthquake.
He now resides in Medford
H. O. Moxon
was postmaster following Mr. Edgerly
, and he was followed by David T. Montague
, the well-known lawyer of Boston
was succeeded by John Eills
, who served until January 1, 1900, when the office became a third-class office.
William H. Coffey
, station agent at Tufts College railroad station was appointed postmaster by President McKinley
, January 1, 1900, and continued until June 30, 1907, when the office was consolidated with Boston
, and he was appointed superintendent of the Tufts College Branch
The post-office was continued at the railroad station up to Mr. Eills
' term, when it was removed to a college building near its present location.
When Mr. Coffey
assumed charge, the office was moved to its present quarters.
The name of the post-office was changed from College Hill
to Tufts College about 1895.
This post-office was first established November 1, 1852.
The first postmaster
was James M. Sanford
, who was station agent at the old Boston
and Lowell station, and the office was located in the station.
August 9, 1853, Mr. Sanford
was succeeded by Thaddeus A. Baldwin
, who conducted a grocery store in the building now occupied by J. E. Ober
and Son. Mr. Baldwin
continued postmaster until May 3, 1859.
Franklin Patch was appointed to succeed Mr. Baldwin
and held office until September 25, 1866. Mr. Patch
was a carpenter, engaged in business in Boston
The office was located in a small building at the junction of Allston and Prescott street.
William C. Frederick
was the next postmaster, serving [p. 39]
from September 26, 1866, to May 31, 1869. Mr. Frederick
moved the office back to Mystic Hall Seminary Building, he having purchased the grocery business from Mr. Baldwin
E. J. Pitcher
succeeded Mr. Frederick
, and the office was continued in the former location.
On May 10, 1870, Reuben Willey
was appointed to succeed Mr. Pitcher
and the office was removed to the Boston and Lowell Railroad station, as Mr. Willey
was also station agent.
James P. Richardson
was the next postmaster.
His appointment dated from October 21, 1881, and the office was moved to the Usher Building
, just below the railroad crossing.
was in the grocery business several years at Medford
, in the building now occupied by Yerxa
, selling out to Charles Currier
Mark M. Grimes
was appointed to succeed Mr. Richardson
by President Cleveland
on February 14, 1894.
During his term free delivery was established and arrangements were made for the removal of the office to more suitable quarters.
During the incumbency of both Mr. Richardson
and Mr. Grimes
the office had been in the central portion of the wooden building of Mr. Usher
, which building had frequently taken fire.
Wishing to retain Uncle Sam as his tenant, Mr. Usher
had erected the brick building in which the office is now located, and all arrangements had been made for removal by Postmaster Grimes
before his successor, Grenville G. Redding
, was appointed by President McKinley
. Mr. Redding
was in the real estate
business in Boston
for several years.
He served as selectman and town auditor.
He was also in the war in many active engagements.
He began his duties as postmaster on October 23, 1899, and resigned in 1905, when the office became consolidated with the Medford office