[p. 38] York
, and had charge of installing the electric lighting system in the City of Mexico
was followed by Julian C. Edgerly
, a well-known newspaper man of Boston
was in Jamaica
during the earthquake.
He now resides in Medford
H. O. Moxon
was postmaster following Mr. Edgerly
, and he was followed by David T. Montague
, the well-known lawyer of Boston
was succeeded by John Eills
, who served until January 1, 1900, when the office became a third-class office.
William H. Coffey
, station agent at Tufts College railroad station was appointed postmaster by President McKinley
, January 1, 1900, and continued until June 30, 1907, when the office was consolidated with Boston
, and he was appointed superintendent of the Tufts College Branch
The post-office was continued at the railroad station up to Mr. Eills
' term, when it was removed to a college building near its present location.
When Mr. Coffey
assumed charge, the office was moved to its present quarters.
The name of the post-office was changed from College Hill
to Tufts College about 1895.
This post-office was first established November 1, 1852.
The first postmaster
was James M. Sanford
, who was station agent at the old Boston
and Lowell station, and the office was located in the station.
August 9, 1853, Mr. Sanford
was succeeded by Thaddeus A. Baldwin
, who conducted a grocery store in the building now occupied by J. E. Ober
and Son. Mr. Baldwin
continued postmaster until May 3, 1859.
Franklin Patch was appointed to succeed Mr. Baldwin
and held office until September 25, 1866. Mr. Patch
was a carpenter, engaged in business in Boston
The office was located in a small building at the junction of Allston and Prescott street.
William C. Frederick
was the next postmaster, serving