This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 39] from September 26, 1866, to May 31, 1869. Mr. Frederick moved the office back to Mystic Hall Seminary Building, he having purchased the grocery business from Mr. Baldwin. E. J. Pitcher succeeded Mr. Frederick, and the office was continued in the former location. On May 10, 1870, Reuben Willey was appointed to succeed Mr. Pitcher and the office was removed to the Boston and Lowell Railroad station, as Mr. Willey was also station agent. James P. Richardson was the next postmaster. His appointment dated from October 21, 1881, and the office was moved to the Usher Building, just below the railroad crossing. Mr. Richardson was in the grocery business several years at Medford, in the building now occupied by Yerxa & Yerxa, selling out to Charles Currier. Mark M. Grimes was appointed to succeed Mr. Richardson by President Cleveland on February 14, 1894. During his term free delivery was established and arrangements were made for the removal of the office to more suitable quarters. During the incumbency of both Mr. Richardson and Mr. Grimes the office had been in the central portion of the wooden building of Mr. Usher, which building had frequently taken fire. Wishing to retain Uncle Sam as his tenant, Mr. Usher had erected the brick building in which the office is now located, and all arrangements had been made for removal by Postmaster Grimes before his successor, Grenville G. Redding, was appointed by President McKinley. Mr. Redding was in the real estate business in Boston for several years. He served as selectman and town auditor. He was also in the war in many active engagements. He began his duties as postmaster on October 23, 1899, and resigned in 1905, when the office became consolidated with the Medford office.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.