As old residents say.
Evidently Mr. Usher
, from whose history of Medford Mr. Farnum
secured data, omitted the name of Mr. Bixby
,—— who must have succeeded Mr. Patch
in the West Medford postal service.
kept a small store, groceries mainly, in a one-story building on High street, nearly opposite the Whitmore elm, as early as 1857 and while the Mystic Hall Seminary
was in operation near by.
Several old residents are explicit in their testimony in relation to the office being kept in that building, and of being served by Mr. Bixby
on going there for their mail, the boxes or pigeon holes being on the right of the entrance door.
The sign, painted on both sides, was fastened to that corner of the building and projected toward the street.
This was in plain sight of the railway cars and the remembrance of seeing it many times in the winter of 1865-6 and the absence of mention of this location by Mr. Farnum
has led to our extended inquiry relative thereto.
The most definite statements point to about 1861 as Mr. Bixby
His appointment was probably caused by the change of administration and made by President Lincoln