previous next
[p. 35] Boston & Maine Railroad was in its infancy then, and as late as March, 1842, had no tracks nearer Boston than Wilmington. From that point its trains went to Boston over the pioneer railroad, the Boston & Lowell, some four miles of which lay in the western section of Medford. At about the latter date Edward Smith, who was road master (of Boston & Maine) many years, took an engine across town from the siding at West Medford, through the streets to Malden, to be used there on the construction train.

The Boston & Lowell was also an infant. Chartered in 1829, and six years in building, it had been ten years in operation when the Medford Branch was projected. By the latter's construction Medford had easy access to Boston, with its own terminal at Medford square, then called the market-place. It would have been better if that committee had looked more clearly after the interests of the town than it did, and not have permitted a grade crossing of old Ship street.

Of the Branch, Brooks' History says, ‘It was readily finished and proves to be a productive and convenient road’—and it was, in its infantile days. At the present time it is a problem to the managers, and a small factor in passenger transit.

Of its early days the Register has secured items of interest, mostly from townsman Francis A. Wait, from whom we quote:—

About 1845 a large, fine dwelling house, owned by the heirs of Ebenezer Hall, stood where the B. & M. R. R. Depot on Main street, Medford, stands today. It was the best house between the square and the hotel on South street. The place was sold to the railroad, and James B. Gregg came into the possession of the house and removed it to the south side of the river. It was the second building from Cradock bridge on the west side of Main street. It was burned November, 1850. Passengers passed through the depot into the train shed that housed two cars; extra cars stood outside. The ticket office had a window in the main building and in the shed also. There were three docks from the river to Ship street. The railroad partially closed two of them. Crossing Ship street, it had a fairly clear route to the main line, running under

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Roseboro (North Carolina, United States) (1)
Maine (Maine, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Lowell (2)
Francis A. Wait (1)
Edward Smith (1)
James B. Gregg (1)
M. R. R. Depot (1)
Caleb Brooks (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
November, 1850 AD (1)
1845 AD (1)
March, 1842 AD (1)
1829 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: