cupola that surmounted the pyramidal roof, and the bellrope hung in the middle of the house in the alley, just as it does today in the old Hingham
meeting-house, built in 1681.
had then been settled one hundred and fourteen years, and without doubt this first Medford
bell was brought over sea, and it may have been the one suggested four years before.
Of its founder, weight and tone we know nothing.
It was probably a small bell, pitched high in the musical scale, weighing but a few hundred pounds, and hung in a cumbrous wooden frame.
Its sharp, clear tones were heard up and down the Mystic valley
, and doubtless its warning peals rang out after Revere
galloped by, one hundred and thirty-nine years ago yesterday morning, on his way to Menotomy
But ere this the third meeting-house had been built on another spot, and the bell hung in its towering steeple.
The eighteenth century was old, its last year young (but thirteen days), when Medford
people assembled for their tribute of respect to Washington
, each wearing the tokens of mourning.
His companion-in-arms, Gen. John Brooks
, pronounced the eulogy in the black-draped meeting-house, and as the people dispersed, the bell was tolled until the sun went down.
Its echoes are more than a century old, but we of today remember the sorrowful tones of the Medford
bells at the passing of President McKinley
Fifty-eight years the first Medford
bell was in service, and on May 10, 1802, the town voted ‘to have a new bell, and that the old one be given in part pay.’
The contract for its casting was given to Paul Revere
and Sons, whose bill of $552.75 was allowed on November 1 of that year.
was paid $2.50 for ‘bringing up the bell,’ and Fitch Hall, Joseph Hall and B. Farrington
were paid sums aggregating $27.74 for placing it in position.
was paid $15.83 for six months ringing.
On April 1, 1805, the town voted not to pay for ringing the bell every