I have quoted the above from Revere Bells
, by Dr. Arthur H. Nichols
was grossly misinformed in the matter by a Medford man, and only learned of the error after his book had found a place in the library of the Medford
He at once conceded the accuracy of the Medford
records of selectmen and town treasurer as authority, instead of the letter received by him, which he has on file (the writer of which has passed on).
The long pastorate of Dr. David Osgood
ended in 1822.
Respect and love for their pastor had held the varying elements together for some years, though the parting of their ways was near.
The Methodist Episcopalians had begun to hold public worship before the separation in the First Parish took place.
Soon a new house of worship was erected by the Trinitarian or Second Congregational Church for its use.
Six years later (1830) twenty-two persons contributed the sum of $640, ‘feeling that the cause of religion would be promoted by the placing of a bell in the tower.’
and John Bishop
gave $200 each, the rest was in sums of from $5 to $25, doubtless in equal proportion to the means of the donors.
This bell was also cast by Revere
(and was his 346th) and weighed 1,529 lbs. It cost $604.93, and the balance of $35.07 was turned into the treasury of the Second Parish, ‘on condition that the subscription paper be recorded in the society's book of records.’
This was done, and thanks given the donors.
This was the third Medford
bell to come to Medford
was in the late '30s, and placed on a schoolhouse on Park street. This was a small one, its sound welcome to the studious, but a terror to the tardy ones.
It was rung by the pupils, and Mr. Hooper
recalls his juvenile experience at the bell-rope, with the only school bell the town of Medford
Next came two other bells, at about the same time, about which we may not be exact.
One was the Old Bughorn