and suspended from a beam in the tower, from which it sends out its warning tones simultaneously with all the others.
When this bell was first
hung, the first
steam fire engine had just been built and was looked upon with little favor by the volunteer firemen of those days.
The next fire bell to come was the one at West Medford.
This weighed 515 lbs., and was mounted on a temporary framework beside the livery stable of D. K. Richardson
near Whitmore brook
At the completion of the fire station on Canal street it was placed in its cupola.
Complaint was soon made by firemen who didn't hear its ringing, and the engineers procured a larger bell of 900 lbs., and had the cupola roof raised higher to take it in. William Blake
, successor of Hooper
& Co., took the first in exchange therefor, and the town paid a small charge for damage to its wheel.
When installed it was hung in the usual way for ringing, but when removed a year since to the new station on Harvard avenue, was suspended from a steel beam in the cupola of the building.
The newest bells are those on the stations on Spring and Medford streets, these weighing 1,800 and 2,000 lbs. respectively.
The former (at Glenwood
) was purchased in 1890 at a total cost for bell and striker of $833.43. The latter bell cost $385.23, with $450 for the striking apparatus and setting the same.
Both these bells hang suspended by the crown, and though supplied with the usual tongue, are struck by a hammer on the outer surface of the rim by electric action.
Unlike all others, they bear the trade-mark of the foundry (a miniature bell on which is the name Hooper
) and over which is a wavy ribbon with the words, Blake Bell Co.
The bell in the Central station is the heaviest in the service (and in the city as well), weighs 2,485 lbs., of the key of D sharp, and was purchased by the Town of Medford
, on the recommendation of the engineers, as a measure of economy
. Despite the condition upon which the town supplied the tower clock, in 1870, to the Second Parish Church on High street, which was, that the free use of