the bell thereon should be granted for public ringing, the town had paid for its use, after its removal to its present location, more than enough to buy a bell.
The bell at South Medford has this inscription, ‘City of Medford
Fire Department, Arthur C. Symmes
, Chief Engineer
, 1894,’ but the Central
bell has none to denote municipal ownership, but around the crown, ‘Cast by William Blake
& Co., formerly H. N. Hooper
& Co., Boston, Mass.
, A. D. 1891.’
Within a few years it has been suspended as are the others, higher in the tower, but at first was mounted in the usual way, and until the custom was discontinued, was rung at stated hours daily, and also as the curfew bell.
All the city bells above enumerated are struck by the electric-alarm system (installed in 1880), as is also the steam gong or whistle upon the Schenk-Adams
factory at the western border of the city and within a few feet of the Somerville appendix
To the writer
five blows followed by one, and to others
, numbers contiguous, come the sound of these fire bells with a thrill, lest the destroying element threaten his own or a neighbor's dwelling.
More pleasant is their sound to the school children on a stormy day, while the test strokes at noon and evening arouse no fears.
, upon Bethany Church
, is a small bell, placed there at the city's expense for a no-school signal.
It is not connected with the fire-alarm system, orders for its ringing being given by telephone.
In return for its housing, the church society has the use of it on Sabbath days.
In the cupola of the stable at the superintendent's residence, Oak Grove Cemetery, hangs a small bell for a call bell.
It was purchased from a junk dealer in Boston
, who knew nothing of its history, but who said it was perhaps a ship's bell.
Possibly it may have been one of Butler's bells
, but this is only a surmise.
At the capture of New Orleans, there were found a lot of bells of various sizes that had come from churches, schools, plantations,