previous next
[p. 61] and wherever a bell could be had. They were all donated to the lost cause by a sacrificing people, to be cast into Confederate cannon, but had not reached the foundry fires. These bells were sent north by General Butler and sold, and various town and church committees secured bargains thereby. For several years one interested made inquiry and search therefor, and after a long time succeeded in locating a few of ‘Butler's bells.’ Another bell of municipal ownership is the ‘Town of Medford Bell.’ This hangs in the belfry of Grace Church, and by the appropriation1 of $600, by vote in town meeting.

Question was raised at the time as to whether or not the town could legally do so, and the legal opinion gotten was, that it would be legal if the bell could be used for fire-alarm or other public service authorized by the town authorities. Of this bell more definite information will appear elsewhere.

As there entered into the possibility of purchase of a first Medford bell the item of bricks, it is fitting to mention the bell upon the boarding-house of the New England Brick Company at Glenwood. At various intervals in the brick-making season it used to wake the workmen and call them to their meals, and mark the hours of working time. It is the only existing Medford bell that the writer has not seen and examined at close range. It has been strenuous work, in some cases, to climb the church steeples and fire towers, but facts absolute and correct are only to be had by painstaking search.

Medford may have had, in the old days, a town-crier. If so, he must have carried a bell—small, of course, and possibly larger than those the schoolma'ams used to shake at the open window, but we have found no trace of one.

Mention has already been made of the college bell. What disposition was made of it we know not, but on June 11, 1908, the class of ‘98 presented the college with a new bell, placing it in the lofty stone tower of Goddard

1 The town had appropriated a like sum five times for clocks on other churches.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
New England (United States) (1)
Glenwood, Mills County, Iowa (Iowa, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Butler (2)
Goddard (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 11th, 1908 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: