Though smelts have in recent years been seen in Whitmore brook
, it is unlikely that they have come up stream since the building of the Cradock dam
Since the denuding of the hill slopes around Bear meadow, Whitmore brook
has shrunk noticeably, and for several summers failed entirely in its lower reach.
Should our correspondent, the Medford
boy of 1840, visit his early haunts he would find Meeting-house
brook but little changed, but Whitmore brook
at its best he would not recognize.
The city has put some fifteen rods of it below High street in a strait-jacket of concrete.
The old wooden bridge and the ford-way for watering horses is gone, and a stone bridge is beneath the street.
House foundations border it, and ever and anon it disappears beneath other streets and front-door yards, while in the Playstead it is spanned by several bridges of rubble stone and concrete.
‘Art and man's device’ have there done much to beautify its course, but what it needs most is water.
Different conditions exist along Meeting-house
brook, though its head waters of 1840 have long since been diverted by the south dam of the Winchester
From thence to within sight of Winthrop street it flows through woodland, and a stroll along its winding course will reveal ‘a beautiful spot’ our correspondent refers to. Medford
people will do well to become better acquainted with its sylvan retreats.
A Medford mill site, formerly occupied by one John Albree
, a weaver, who bought land in Medford
Was seen near ‘Mr. Noah Johnson
's’ in 1855.
The water supply was small, and failing, the mill fell into disuse.
Any information relative to the same will be thankfully received by the editor.