previous next

[p. 16] the timbers showed that the arms of the cross had been timbered for a flooring, while others on the top sides indicated that upright timbers had been set up and sheathed, thus making one trough or sluiceway about ten feet wide, and two smaller ones, at right angles with it, about four feet. From the first mentioned timber there extended into the ground sloping, seven joists four by five inches in size. These were spiked into the notches cut in the large timber. No vestige of flooring or sheathing remained, nor joists to which either were fastened. They were probably of softer and lighter material, like pine or spruce, and therefore more easily removed. The upper mortises at the intersection of the cross were larger than those intervening, while those nearest the large timber in the foreground were nearly double the size of those larger ones. The timber at the farther end was cut two inches longer than the nearer width, thus allowing for the taper of the longest timbers.

Naturally the query arose, ‘What was this structure of the past?’ for its builders must have been artisans of long ago. The History of Medford (Brooks, p. 393) says:

‘There was a mill a short distance below Wear bridge, but who built it and how long it stood we have not been able to discover. The place is still occupied.’ [1855.]

We can but wish that Mr. Brooks had been more explicit in the latter sentence. To the writer's certain knowledge there was no visible structure at this location in 1870, nor yet visible remains that would indicate anything below the surface of the tide-flowed bank. Inquiry among old residents fails to throw any light on the matter. Did Mr. Brooks mean that some remains of a tide-mill still existed at his time of writing, or were known to him in his earlier or boyhood days? In the same section he mentioned a sale of a ‘grist mill on the Menotomy side’ in 1660. This mill was not in Medford, but in Charlestown (now Arlington), and just above the bend of the Mystic and mouth of the Menotomy river. (See Vol. XIII, p. 7, Register.)


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Caleb Brooks (3)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1870 AD (1)
1855 AD (1)
1660 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: