of salutes, if they should deem the gift acceptable.
Receiving a favorable reply, a letter of presentation followed and was received by them, as of record of June 27, 1874.
The board voted to receive the cannon and make an acknowledgment with thanks, and further voted ‘to place the cannon in charge of the committee on almshouse
’ (italics our own). Two days later the committee reported the guns received and stored at the almshouse.
‘had the guns and the money too,’ they continued to be lodged at the almshouse, and the town paid Battery C $100 for a salute on the Fourth of July, $8.90 for cleaning guns, and $15 to ‘Uncle
’ David Simpson
for meals for the battery men.
‘And now appears’ a citizen, Charles Russell
by name, and others who urged the formation of an artillery company to take charge of the Swallow
battery and use it in accordance with the intent of the donor.
As such an organization was not a part of the State
militia, its status was much like that of the old fire companies, and yielding to their desire, the selectmen on November 7, 1874, record the signing of a petition to the Governor
for a license to form an association to care for the guns.
Who was to present the same, or whether it ever reached the Governor
, is not known, as inquiry at his office reveals nothing.
Evidently such an association was or had been formed, as a week later a petition was received from members of the Swallow
Battery, asking for the guns to be placed in their care and possession.
Whether they were so placed, or remained guests at the almshouse
, is uncertain, as nothing more appears of record until April 5, 1875, when it was voted that the Magoun
battery be housed in the building of S. H. Pearce
& Co. The next week Captain Russell
appeared again, asking for authority to procure a place of storage for a few weeks.
An appropriation of $850 had been made to purchase equipments for the guns, and all but forty cents was expended therefor.
This included gun-carriages, ammunition wagon, and ‘one artillery saddle.’
It has been said that the guns,