Meanwhile the people were becoming tired of noise, and when (after the disbandment) some one petitioned for a salute on July 4, the selectmen voted ‘to do so if some responsible person furnish the powder.’
Just before this they had voted ‘to allow Mr. Allen
to use the wheels of the Magoun
was the chief of the highway men, and so it is reasonable to conclude that the wheels of the guncar-riages and ammunition wagon, and the harnesses, were worn out in the more useful service of that department.
As to the ultimate fate of the somewhat famous saddle we are unable to say.
Who furnished uniforms, sabres and other military toggery that was used in the public parades we cannot say; probably the company provided itself with such, but the town horses drew the guns on some occasions, on others the town hired horses for the purpose.
It is really true (as has been said) that the men wore coats cut in style of evening dress; by some at times they were called the Swallow-tail Battery.
They were at first called the Swallow
Battery (from the name of the ship), but the tail
was simply an appendage, and was applied in the same spirit of banter as was the burlesque ‘Muldoon Battery’ in an Antique and Horrible parade that attracted much attention.
On December 1, 1884, the selectmen voted ‘that the guns of the Magoun
Battery be placed in charge of Captain Clark
's command,’ i.e
., the Lawrence
Light Guard. May 28, 1888, Captain Clark
reported that ‘the guns were exposed to the weather and ought to be covered.’
This was referred to ‘Mr. Clark
’ (William P. Clark
, chairman of the board). On April 2, 1889, Mr. Clark
was made a ‘committee on the care of and placing the guns in position at the library.’
Two weeks later he reported, ‘the library committee desired no further action.’
January 2, 1890, that committee was invited to confer with the selectmen, and on the 28th James A. Hervey
He stated, ‘the committee do not consider the grounds a suitable place’ (the local press