has quoted him, ‘the library is neither a fort or an arsenal’), and suggested that the guns be sold and books bought with the proceeds.
The selectmen, in report of 1888, had recommended ‘an appropriation of $100 for preservation and care of cannon,’ the same to be properly mounted and placed on the library grounds.
This sum was appropriated, and of the amount $2.17 was expended.
Also on March 10, 1890, the town voted that the gun-carriages, harnesses and other equipments be sold by the selectmen and that the library committee consider what is best to be done with the cannon and report at some future meeting.
On February 17, 1891, the selectmen granted the library committee permission to remove the trucks
of the Magoun
Battery from the shop of Dawson
to the library or elsewhere, as they may see fit. The ‘trucks’ were the carriages on which the guns were mounted when Mr. Magoun
donated them, and on which they were again placed.
We have failed to find any record of sale of harnesses or equipment as above authorized (nor yet of the famous saddle), and we think our conclusions as to their final disposal correct.
But what of the cannon that were placed in Captain Clark
's charge thirty years ago?
Some three years since we learned of their location.
Though not generally known, they remain where the selectmen placed them—in the armory of the Light Guard.
They are marked 458 and 459 (probably foundry numbers). They are about three and three-quarters inch bore, five and three-quarters outside at muzzle, nine at breech, and four feet in length.
On each is cast the figure of an eagle, and in each is cut the inscription, ‘Presented to the Town
of Medford, Mass.
, June 17, 1874.’
No copy of Mr. Magoun
's letter of presentation appears in the printed report of town officers, issued February, 1875.
We recall it as it appeared in the Medford journal
of June, 1874.
It was probably overshadowed by the larger and more useful gift of Mr. Magoun
of ‘the Mansion ’