Two brief terms of service of the Revs. John McShane
and Michael Carroll
were followed by the long and notable pastorate of the Rev. Thomas Gleeson
, which extended over sixteen years.
Although the Church of St. Mary
was in Medford
, it was near the boundary of Malden
, and was much better adapted to the wants of the Malden
people than to those who lived near the center and on the other side of Medford
As the latter town increased in population and wealth, so did the Catholics increase, and they soon began to desire a church to themselves.
Meetings were held, and it was decided either to construct or to buy a church building.
Finally, on March 24, 1876, the Trinitarian Congregational Church on High street passed into their hands.
It received the name of St. Joseph
, and since that time the Medford Catholics
have had their own place of worship, although in the dividing up of the town a good number of the inhabitants are still included in the parish of old St. Mary's.
ministered to the wants of both parishes until 1883, when Medford
became a separate parish, with its own pastor.
The Rev. Richard Donnelly
was sent as the first rector.
had greatly endeared himself to the Medford
congregation, and deep was the sorrow that was felt when he bade them good-bye.
There was not a dry eye in the church, strong men as well as the women weeping with regret.
succeeded well in his ministrations; his gentle and kindly ways were appreciated by all with whom he came in contact.
He bought the residence of Mr. John Ayres
(standing on the same site as the present rectory) for the priests' house.
But unfortunately his health was delicate, and in 1886 he was called to his reward, most deeply lamented.
A year or so before he died, as his health began to fail most seriously, Archbishop Williams
sent an assistant priest to aid him. This priest was the Rev. William H. O'Connell
, who had just completed his theological course and had been ordained in Rome
Many of us can recall