[p. 8] George E. Adams was later Division Superintendent of the Middlesex Horse Railroad in Medford, with stables in his barns. He drove the pioneer Sunday car into Boston.‘College Field,’ lying between Two-penny brook, the railroad and Harvard street, now intersected by streets bearing names of colleges, was, in 1870, the location of the Massachusetts Brick Company's works. Its sandy soil is now furnishing material for concrete blocks that are being widely distributed in Medford for house foundations. Preceding the brick making, in the ‘60s, this level plain had upon it a half-mile race track that antedated the mile track of Mystic Park. At times of races, railway trains made stops on the bridge over Harvard street, and barges were lined up below for passengers to the park.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.