[p. 29] to the landing called No-Man's-Friend, at the foot of Cross street on Riverside avenue; let us also suppose it to be low water in the river. We will see a gravel beach extending down to low-water mark, almost if not as far as the square; then on the east side of Main street the marshland extending as far as No-Man's-Friend landing, and Gravelly creek winding its crooked way through the marsh to the river. We will see in the place where the town pump formerly stood, a pond of water. Rev. Charles Brooks, in his history of Medford, says, ‘Where the town pump now stands in the market-place there was a small pond, whose edges were covered with a growth of small flags; and there are persons now living (1855) whose fathers have told them, that wild ducks were shot in that pond.’ We will also see the path from Salem to Mistick ford trailing over the present Salem street, fording Gravelly creek, passing along the edge of the pond in the market-place or square, and winding around the verge of the hill to the landing place of the ford. This is the path travelled by Ralph Sprague and his party (two of whom were his brothers Richard and William) from Salem through the wilderness to Mistick ford, in the summer of 1628（9). They found Mr. Cradock's servants occupying a farm called Mistick, that they had planted on the east side of the river called Mistick. It is almost certain that this path was an Indian trail that passed through Medford, and continued westerly to the wears at the outlet of the Mystic ponds where the Indians were wont to assemble for the purpose of fishing. Let us recall to our minds how that portion of the hill looked a few years since, in the rear of the houses known as the Dudley and Ebenezer Hall houses. The hill in the rear of the Dudley Hall lot was as high as the eaves of the house, and it was still higher in the rear of the Benjamin Hall house. Gazing at the same time at the river bank we will then understand what the contour of the hill must have been, and what a large amount of material has been removed, to make the changes that we see today. The river bank has been walled up with
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
An old-time Public and private School teacher of Medford, Massachusetts .
Harriet W. Brown .
Pine and Pasture Hills and the part they have Contributed to the development of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.