[p. 31] for highway purposes. From the northerly line of this lot the avenue runs northerly, including within its location the old lane which was about one rod in width. From the hill on the west side of the lane, was probably quarried most of the stone used in the construction of the retaining walls on the bank of the river. Red gravel was also extensively excavated from this portion of the hill. This quarry was but little used for many years prior to the hill being laid out into building lots. The Pine hill district contained the largest masses of granite, and was the probable source of most of the split granite, both cut and uncut, so extensively used for building purposes in this vicinity. Medford granite was much in demand. A former resident of the town says, ‘Mr. Joseph Grinnel built a house of it in New Bedford in 1830, and told me it came round Cape Cod in a schooner.’ Medford red gravel was very popular. It was used on street and garden walks, both in Medford and in the surrounding cities and towns. The city of Boston used it on the walks of the Common and Public Garden. It was also used on the walks of Mount Auburn cemetery. We extract from the records of the town of Woburn the first mention of a highway from Woburn to Mystic bridge.
‘14th of the 7 month 1646, Edward Convers and Samuel Richardson are appointed to lay out a highway between this town and Mistick bridge being joined with some of Charlestown and some of Mistick House.’ [Governor Cradock's farm house in Medford square.]The record fails to give the location of the way. There is, however, but one way where the road could have been laid out, and that is substantially where it is located today. That is to say, from the square to Brooks' corner, over or near the present location of High street, then over Woburn and old Purchase streets to Symmes' corner, and so on to Woburn. Probably at that early day the road passed around the verge of Pasture hill, the slope of the great south bastion of the hill